- 6 cups filtered water
- 6g of organic Assam or other loose caffeinated tea
- 78g organic cane sugar
- 1 cup starter liquid + SCOBY
- 2 liter jar
- reusable cotton tea bag
- cotton cover and rubber band
- wet erase marker
- PH strips
- cleanse your hands, jar and workspace
- sanitize jar with 3% hydrogen peroxide or white vinegar and let dry.
Start by boiling 2 cups of water. Remove from heat, add sugar (make sure to stir well to dissolve it properly), add tea, and steep for 10 min.
Pour your 4 cups of water into the jar, filter tea into jar and let the tea cool to room temperature (68F-84F) or (25C-30C).
Add starter liquid and SCOBY into jar. Make sure the sweet tea is completely cooled
- Place cotton cloth over jar and secure with rubber band.
- Place jar in a space that is undisturbed, away from direct sunlight and with good airflow.
- Do not disturb for a couple of days.
Around day 3 you should see another thin SCOBY forming on top.
Wait 7-20 days. After day 7 taste your kombucha.
When satisfied with the taste you can harvest.
Make sure to reserve 1 cup of kombucha for your next batch, and start your 2nd ferment with fruits/herbs.
STEP 5 - SECOND FERMENT
- Add your harvested kombucha to a long neck bottle or a glass vessel with a tight fitting lid.
Using the 80/20 rule, add 20% fruits/herbs (Fruits: apple, mango, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, watermelon, kiwi, etc. - Herbs: ginger, lemongrass, lavender, hibiscus, basil, mint, rose, turmeric, etc.)
Wait 1-3 days, gradually releasing pressure from the bottle.
Filter, chill and enjoy!